March 10, 2010 | By: Tracy

Part of my Childhood Died

This might be a bit of a somber post, but I just heard about Corey Haim dying early this morning, and it's made me a little sad. I know it was a drug overdose and Corey has been messed up with the stuff for too many years to count, so it really shouldn't come as much of a shocker ... but it still does, kinda.
What makes it sad (I obviously did not know him personally) is that he was my first love. Okay, so technically first loves and first celebrity crushes aren't the same thing, but I became boy crazy at an early age and Corey was there for me. When I was 8, there was no way any of the boys in 3rd grade could possibly compete with his blue eyes and killer dimples, and they were certainly nowhere near as cool. (Plus, at age 8, puberty hadn't set in, so the boys still thought the girls had cooties anyhow).
I loved Corey so much, that aside from the posters all over my wall (thank you Tiger Beat) ... rarely a day went by where I wasn't watching "License to Drive" (my favorite). I even convinced my parents to name their Alaskan Malamute - Nanook, after Corey's dog's name in "The Lost Boys". I adored him so much, I watched "Lucas" even though I have a deathly aversion to locusts! And in middle school, I can only imagine how annoying I must have been saying "Hello hon-ney" in reference to a silly line from "Dream a Little Dream".
So anyway, while it's been a long time since I've watched a Corey movie (though I feel that my "Lost Boys" dvd will be making an appearance this afternoon), and I've been disappointed to see the way his life spiraled out of control without him being able to reel it back in -- I'll still miss him.
RIP Corey Haim - You played a pivotal role in the early stages of helping me grow into the woman I've become. I hope you can finally have a sense of peace now!

0 witty remarks:

Post a Comment