July 8, 2010 | By: Tracy

I'm Such a Slacker!

Okay, not really ... but it feels like it sometimes.

And I'm not even talking about the frequency with which I have NOT been posting lately. (I think I have beaten that poor little horsey to death already)

I'm talking about the fact that I'm RELIEVED the publishing industry is on an unofficial summer vacation. Why? Because it means the pressure has been taken off my shoulders for a while.

I have a tendency to, far too often, place unfair goals on myself -- most especially when it comes to time management. Sometimes what I need is for someone to stand in my way holding a "SLOW" sign, otherwise I'll continue to push full-steam ahead at a pace that exhausts me... and resent every minute of it. (I have Type-A personality issues. You needn't tell me, I already know.)

Anyway, I feel bad for being relaxed by the thought that most agents aren't accepting queries (or are at least frowning upon them more so than normal) until September-ish. It's not fair to my fellow writers who are unequivocally ready to be in Query Hell right now. I feel guilty for enjoying the chance to breathe and finish this current (and most in-depth/focused) revision in a more realistic timeline. (Yay, Fall!) After all, it's not my fellow writers' fault that I have unrealistic expectations of myself.

To those of you currently querying, forgive me.

But the good news is, since I don't have to cross those query fingers for myself, I can keep them crossed for you!! I really only need one hand during the revision stage anyhow.

2 witty remarks:

JE said...

You are so much like me it's funny! I'm in query hell, but I'm working on something else that will be ready mid-Septemberish. Can't wait!

~JD

Terry Towery said...

I seem to be on summer vacation, too. Although I have been working some, I have NOT been querying, nor have I been blogging much. I feel just a tiny bit guilty. And in less than two weeks, we're going on a real vacation! To Washington D.C., and Baltimore (where we hope to take in a couple of Os and Nats games!). Yay! :)

Post a Comment