March 17, 2011 | By: Tracy

Luck O' the Irish Blogfest

I don't normally post on Thursday, but today I'm pulling double duty. So feel free to also swing by Chocolate & Spice to catch my blog post on why we can't seem to get enough paranormal.



Colleen and Alexia threw together this St. Patty's Day blogfest.  Point is to do a very brief (200-ish words) flash fiction about anything Irish.

Me, I chose to play with the typical stereotypes.  There is a prize involved, so feel free to talk me up in the comments so the judges pick me! And then go here to check out the rest of the participants.

*********

After all these years, I finally found me a leprechaun! He ain't happy 'bout it, but I'm stalking his arse until we get to the end of this rainbow. I always knew this day would come, even when they told me I was gone in the head for believing in wee little men who wear green leotards.


"Had a few too many pints of whiskey, Shamus?" they said.


Gah! Feckers didn't want to believe I could do it, so they'll be getting none of me gold. They can buy their own damn Guinness.


"How much longer 'til we get there, squirt?" I asked the little feller.


He turned around to glare at me -- looking like two and a half feet of emerald fury -- before a creepy smile crawled onto his face. "Not much further now."


I didn't like that look, but kept my yap shut.


When we rounded a bend in the trees and the rainbow came to an end, tears o' joy streamed down me face. But one look inside the black cast-iron pot and my heart sank. "Are those . . . potatoes?"


With a smug smile, he gave a shrug of one shoulder. "Bad economy."


So, after all these years, I still don't have me pot of gold . . .but I do got a lovely stuffed leprechaun now hanging above the fireplace.


**********


Also, because this is the holiday of my people and I love all things Irish, here's a little bonus. This is what's considered "Irish Rap".






34 witty remarks:

Matthew MacNish said...

Have you heard the Riverdance Rap?

N. R. Williams said...

Ah...poor leprechaun. His enchanted days are at an end. Nice to meet you.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium, Special .99 through April 30

Gina Ciocca said...

LOL! Cute!

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Short guys always get even! LOL

Hart Johnson said...

*giggles* I hope they were at least those little golden new potatoes!

Southpaw said...

Ha! I loved it.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Stopping by from SPD blogfest. I loved it! Happy St. Patty's Day! May the luck the Irish be with you and the wind be at your back...

Colene Murphy said...

Lol!! Oh Holy crap! I was not expecting that! Too funny!! Awesome job! Thanks for playing along with us Tracy!! Happy St. Patties Day!

Donea Lee said...

Hilarious!! Those tricky buggers ~ :) Thanks for a good laugh and Happy St. Patty's day to you!!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Very clever!

A good LOL moment!

Michael

Sophia said...

Ha, nice, showed that little sneak!
- Sophia.

Bish Denham said...

LOL! And did you make some good potato soup in that black pot?

Margo Berendsen said...

HA HA Bad economy! Good one!

Mara Nash said...

Ha! Nice little twist.

Erin Kane Spock said...

LOL. The economy's even hurting the wee folk. Cute story. :)

Susan Kane said...

Well, the wee man has us there. the economy's about a rotten as the praties in the Famine. Glad you got yourself a man to snuggle by the fireplace.
Clever. Thanks.

Laura said...

BAHAHAHA! Loved it.
Lx

Jennie Bailey said...

Potatoes - HA! Love that even the leprechauns got hit by the bad economy.

Abby Minard said...

Omg, haha, that was awesome! Everyone experiences the bad economy I guess! Love the way you wrote the accent too.

alexia said...

You told me you were going to rock this, and you sure did! Great story - "two and a half feet of emerald fury" is a fantastic line!

And you've got Irish rap and Care Bears...too awesome :)

PK HREZO said...

Ha ha... I love it. "2.5 feet of emerald fury"
Awesome. You did a great job with the dialect.
THanks for finding me today even tho I left a bad link. Doh! ;)
Erin go bragh!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Yes, a great job with the dialect. And you stuffed the leprechaun! Let's hope his family is not too large. They live by the feud you know. My entry involved a leprechaun as well. Nor did he fare very well either! Roland

Meredith said...

Such a great voice! I love this. Yay for St. Patrick's Day and all things Irish!

Anonymous said...

Hah! Didn't see that coming. I wonder what that looks like on the mantle. :)

I agree with Roland...great job on the dialect!

Stina said...

ROFL. Loved the voice in this. :D

LTM said...

omg! LOL!!! But you're right. In the bad economy, food would be gold. Yes? good one~ <3

Melissa Sarno said...

Very cute story! Love the potatoes. :-)

IanBontems said...

Ha! great story and exellent ending. I loved the voice. That was some top snark. :D

Talei said...

Haha! Very funny, I love the Irish accent - always makes me laugh.

Have a great weekend! ;-)

Along These Lines ... said...

May all your clovers be four-leafed!

Coreene Callahan said...

Awesome! I love to have a stuffed leperchaun! lol. Love the Irish rap too.

Kari Marie said...

I loved this entry! Unexpected ending and I love the buildup. The Irish rap was fun too. One or two of those labels made me laugh out loud.

Adina West said...

Thought things might go the other way given the 'creepy' looks the leprechaun was giving him! Like maybe he was going to stew the guy in the pot with the potatoes...

Never seen so many beer brands collected in one place as in that Irish rap song!

Jen said...

HA! That's hilarious! I loved it :D

Thanks so much for your comments on my story. Sorry it took so long for me to wander over and read yours!

Have a great week!
Jen

Post a Comment