February 21, 2010 | By: Tracy

The Good, The Bad & The Olympics

I've actually been surprised to find myself watching a whole lot of the Olympics this year. Normally, it just doesn't hold that much fascination for me. Maybe my competitive spirit is growing stronger the older I get, don't know. But there are a couple of things I do know. 1) If I don't want to see it, they will show it. I don't understand why they have to break up the events that I want to watch, with the ones I don't. Why can't I watch figure skating without having to watch the 2,000+ runs of the luge? Is there a reason why the speed skating competitions have to be broken up by the competition of people coming down the hill on skis? (Slolum, long jump, etc, they all look the same to me). And I'm sure there are people out there who would love to watch skiing and luging without the interruptions of speed skating and figure skating. Why must we all suffer? 2) My appreciation of a male athlete's looks is the kiss of death. Good looking men, are good looking men. It doesn't matter whether they are from the US, Canada, Latvia, Italy or one of the many small countries that were once the Soviet Union. The one thing all of these men seem to have in common though is, once I say "Oh, he's kinda cute" ... BAM, down they go. It doesn't matter whether they are skiing, skating or snowboarding, they're going to crash and burn, because of me. (Thankfully, I wasn't a big fan of Evan Lysacek's slicked back hair. Had he been as adorable looking on the ice as he was in all of his post competition interviews, my comments would have kept him from winning the gold for sure.) 3) I can't tell all the countries apart. The US and Canada, I obviously get (though I'll admit, when I was little I thought we were all one big country. Continents, countries ... it gets confusing for a young mind sometimes). Then of course there are the biggies like Italy, France, Germany, etc. But then there seem to be at least a half dozen countries that sound, or look, like Katjiskestan, and I have absolutely NO idea where they are located. And until the tragic accident that happened at the luge practice, before the games got underway, I didn't even know there was a country named Georgia. All those things aside, I've become addicted. I'm one of the millions who've been tuning into it every night ... and I realize now, just how much I'm going to miss it when it's over!!

0 witty remarks:

Post a Comment