February 17, 2010 | By: Tracy

Query Letters & Characters w/ Coffee

Okay, so, after much ado earlier in the week, I finally sent out my first agent query letter today (that basically means I wrote a letter to plead for an agent to read my manuscript ... but the pleading was professional, mind you). It's a serious step in trying to get published, but I'm trying not to be so serious about the whole thing, if that makes sense. From everything I've gathered it can often times be a long and trying road to find sucess in a writing career, so I'm attempting not to sweat the small stuff along the way. That being said, I did have a "did that really just happen?" moment on the way to the post office this morning. For anyone who knows me, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that I stopped by the drive-thru at Starbucks on my way to mail my first agent letter -- seriously, I need to join a 12 Step Program for my latte addiction. Anyway, when I pull up to the little order-speaker-box the guy on the other end happens to have the same name as one of the characters in my story (it's not a very common name). I thought it was cool, but at that point I was more focused on getting my coffee. Then, I pull up to the window and when the guy with my character's name leans out to take my debit card ... he looks like my character too. Not just a little, but a lot! He was a few years younger, but it was unbelievably weird. I'm sure he thought I was a freak, the way I stared at him while he gave me my coffee. The whole thing, of course, was a highly unusual coincidence ... but I'm going to pretend it was a sign from the Writing Gods, telling me I have their blessing to proceed. Now, if I could pull up to Starbucks and have the guy at the window be able to explain to me what the heck is going on, on LOST that would be even better!

0 witty remarks:

Post a Comment