July 26, 2010 | By: Tracy

Brain Farts

The ever-so-wise Homer Simpson once said :  "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."


Like Homer, I have my fair share of "DOH!" moments.


My most recent one came last night while I was working, once again, on my first chapter. (That beyotch refuses to go down, I tell you).


Anyway, somewhere in the course of about an hour, I managed to forget everything I know about my tenses. Seriously, I couldn't figure out what tense I was revising in. I write in past tense, but it sounded suspiciously like present to me (and I have no idea why). Yet when I noticed it and tried to correct myself my past tense sounded TOO past tense. 


Have you ever ridden the "Zipper" at the carnival?  That crazy ride where you willingly strap yourself into a cage that zips and twirls and spins high in the air, leaving you not knowing which side is up?  Yeah, that's pretty much what I felt like last night.


It was so bad, I had to stop what I was doing and read a real book just to re-familiarize myself with how to write properly. Darn stupidity leak caused me a whole night of revision work!!


On a positive note, I finally got myself hooked up with the RSS feeds I was talking about a few posts back. So going forward, I should be much better about keeping up with everyone's blogs. 


And I got to meet Terry from A Writer of Wrongs while he and his family were in town this weekend. It was freaking awesome to meet a fellow blog buddy (even if we spent more time talking baseball than writing) and now I'm on a mission to meet as many writing blog buddies as I can. 

4 witty remarks:

Shelley Sly said...

Count me in as one of those blog buddies to meet up with, since we live so close! The only thing is, hubby and I are sharing a car right now, so transportation is tough until we get another car. But we'll make this meet up happen sometime soon, right?

Misty Waters said...

I'm a present tense writer and don't have a clue how to stay in past tense. I slipped into it once by accident and don't even know how, but I blame the book I'd been reading. I didn't know I'd done it until revisions.

Terry Towery said...

It was very cool to finally meet a blog buddy! And I thought we kept out priorities pretty straight -- first, baseball, and second, writing.

:)

Jessica Bell said...

hahaha! That's happened to me too an I 'TEACH' grammar! So don't be alarmed! It happens to all of us :o) Geez, I wish I could come and meet you. But that would be a long and expensive trek! xx

Post a Comment