December 1, 2010 | By: Tracy

When Fiction Gets Real

This past weekend I read "The Mockingbirds" by Daisy Whitney

I know this debut has been making its way around the blogosphere, because that's how I heard about it.

The Mockingbirds is the story about a junior at a prestigious private high school who wakes up the morning after she's just been date raped, and has to come to grips with what happened and how she's going to deal with it.

Pretty heavy topic for a YA, right? It is and yet it isn't, because it's a very real problem for adolescent females out there.

In fact, statistics show that young women between the ages of 16-24 are more than four times as likely to become victims of date rape. And in 90% of those cases alcohol was involved.


The Mockingbirds is wonderfully written. The novel is gripping, because it's more than just the story of a young woman falling victim to a sexual assault. Yes, we do follow along on Alex's journey to recall and process exactly what happened to her that night (as she refers to it). But it's also the story of a secret students' society which doles out the justice the adults at the school can't. Think Dead Poet's Society meets high school Law Club.

It's one of those rare books where fiction tackles a serious issue without making it sound preachy or judgmental. If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend it!! I'd also urge parents of teens & pre-teens to think about putting this story in front of them. Girls and boys.

Has anyone else read this or another Young Adult book that deals with a much heavier topic than first loves and broken families?




12 witty remarks:

Anonymous said...

Gosh that sounds like a good yet harrowing read. I was only thinking yesterday that some topics we regard as adult fiction should be for children who may become victims because they are not forwarned within a medium with which they can identify.
P.S. In answer to your comment on my blog: all you need is a haiku partner and you'll be well away with haikus. :O)

Matthew MacNish said...

It sounds like such a weird premise for a story, but also really cool. I've heard a lot of great things about this book, may have to pick it up!

Stina said...

I love this book. And yes, that's the kind of book I'm writing (well, querying), though fortunately the story's very different.

(So why isn't the first chapter of LS posted yet!!!! Okay, maybe that's a good thing.) ;)

Stina said...

(I'm wrong. They just posted it!!!!!!) :D

Stina said...

(Read it. Loved it. It wasn't up last night when I checked. Okay, I want the book NOW!!!!)

Unknown said...

Hey back, thanks for visiting my blog and deciding to follow. I'm following you back. I've not read this book, but as a mother of two teenage girls (shudder), it looks like I'm going to. Thanks!

Lydia Kang said...

I think it's great that YA is breaking into difficult topics. Sometimes, teens turn to books for solace. And I can't say that they have all the answers, but it's good to know that taboo subjects are dealt with, with a seriousness that they deserve.

LTM said...

you bet, and I think it's great to branch into areas like this for teens. Help them know they're not alone and possibly give them ideas for how to get help... Thanks, girl~ :o)

Patti said...

To be honest with you I haven't read any heavy hitting YA books, but I have seen this one floating around.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I can't wait to read this book, it's in my tbr pile.

Cynthia DiFilippo Elomaa said...

Tracy, I sent you an award. Hop on over to get it!

Melissa said...

I really can't wait to read this book. I plan to tackle it in 2011!

Post a Comment