January 21, 2011 | By: Tracy

Help Wanted: Writing Conventions & Group Associations

Happy Friday, All!!

First: There are only a few days left to enter to win an autographed copy of LAST SACRIFICE by Richelle Mead. (Yes, it's Richelle's autograph, not mine)

Second: While I swore I was going to wait a month or two before partaking in another blogfest . . . that was before I came across the That's YAmore Blogfest. If you love YA and you love love, this looks to be a blogfest you don't want to miss!

Okay, now onto today's post. I don't have anything insightful to say. In fact, I'm hoping YOU all can help enlighten me a little.

As of this moment, I have joined no writer's associations (RWA, SCBWI, MWA, etc.), nor have I been to any conferences. Believe it or not, I want to. I just don't know where to even begin delving into this world. Where does a writer who adores anything paranormal, but also strongly focuses on the love aspect, and enjoys writing both adult and YA works, join in?

I'm curious to hear what groups you're a part of and/or what conventions you've been to. Any thoughts you want to share and try to sell me into one of them is greatly appreciated.

I'm in a great mood today, so I'm going to keep this short.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!

11 witty remarks:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

You RAWK! Thank you for plugging the blogfest. We really appreciate it!

Enjoy your weekend!

Stina said...

As you know, I'm with both the RWA and SCBWI, but I've only been to the major SCBWI conferences. For what you want, RWA might be the way to go. A lot of writers in my local chapter write paranormal romance. :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't know where you live, but PWC (Philadelphia Writer's Conference), is a weekend of multi-genre workshops. And, they are supper cool. Say you sign up for Romance Short Story, but on Saturday you decide you want to workshop hop to Spooky Writing 101, they don't care. Or at least they never did, back in the day.

Very relaxed fun conference weekend. Food, hotel, writers, editors, contests and more.

Meredith said...

I've been thinking about joining SCBWI--seems like they have great conferences and writing groups!

Janet Johnson said...

I'm in SCBWI, which I've enjoyed (the conferences are great!), but Stina is the expert on romance stuff. RWA sounds like a good option, too.

Best of luck finding a group!

And how did I not hear about your contest until now? Off to correct that.

Melissa said...

I haven't joined any mass scale groups either or been to any conferences. I'd love to go though.

Christopher said...

I'd like to go to a writers convention and tell everyone I got a 3 book publishing deal from random house. I don't of course, but it would be good fun.

LTM said...

haven't joined any clubs or attended any conventions... I guess RWA would be your place? I don't know... :p

but that blogfest sounds fun--I'll be looking forward to it~ <3

Colene Murphy said...

Abby and I are going to a little conference this year. They get pretty pricey so we're starting off small. But should be a good time! Heading over to look into that blogfest! Thanks!

Chris Phillips said...

i joined scbwi. my advice is to get involved locally more and do the local conferences. the national ones seem like zoos and are boo coo bucks, but the local ones let you network with people in your region for a more affordable price.

Elena Solodow said...

My crit partner went to World Fantasy Con last year and loved it. We'll both be going in October.

Post a Comment